Tripp Doherty

Tripp Doherty

Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Soul In Great Neck


I used to work in Great Neck back in the 80’s and we used to call it the town with no soul.  Fast-forward 30 years and it’s 10 o’clock in EQ Great Neck and a Mr. Tripp Doherty is leading us in a spin class.  Well somehow the soul has been installed and add in some charisma, enthusiasm and you have a workout that you just wouldn’t believe.  

Great Neck’s CS has a narrowness to it that I am not used to but I could soon learn to like. Woodbury of course sports one of the largest studios anywhere on Long Island or NY for that matter but you cannot see many of the faces of the riders because for the most part everyone is facing forward. But in GN and from my vantage I could see most of the faces of three-dozen riders and I have to tell you that they were riveted on our charismatic friend, Tripper.

  On my way in there materialized Peter Rothermel our former manager in Woodbury and he was beaming.  He it seems has done some miraculous things for the 3500 odd plus membership there. And it was self evident because he had 9 count ‘em 9 valets directing traffic because his 167 parking spots were just not enough.  I told him he was like a Yankee player that played with us and now manages somewhere else. He will always be in our hearts and minds. He must have been using the Miami Device because his dark beard reminded me of Don Johnson from the 80’s series. Miami Vice.  

I loved how Tripp got everyone caught up in his infectious enthusiasm because it is irresistible and I have the feeling they would love to see more of him in that studio. On my way into KSC today I saw a placard for Tripp and his outdoor runs starting at 11 am on Tuesdays. And the question is at least for me will I take his challenge and join them. Oh and on Sunday, tomorrow Tripp is running up 66 flights of stairs in midtown and I can’t help but think about the time I ran up the Empire State Building steps a half-life time ago. Good luck Tripper.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah no... perhaps you can leave the challenges to others & revel in your new found love of your 6 million dollar man physique !

Mylifeafteraa.blogspot.com said...

You know the song It's My Party? Well this is my blog and I will write what I want to.