Tripp Doherty

Tripp Doherty

Friday, January 13, 2012

Applied Science


Remember when I wrote about a t friend of mine who told me that I couldn’t lose weight in spin class?  I just read another article claiming the same thing because of a number of factors. Here is what the article said. 

The Sins of the Spin
Spinning follows a very similar pattern of “improvement”. Initially, spinning presents a challenge so you expend a reasonable number of calories while doing it. However, you rapidly become better at biking and learn how to effectively move your legs in a fashion that conserves the most energy possible.
While conserving energy is awesome if you are a competitive cyclist trying to win a race… this is an absolutely garbage phenomenon for individuals using exercise as a weight loss tool.
Compounding the negative aspects of spinning are the following factors:
No wind resistance to overcome 
No side-to-side sway, little upper body activation
It is weight supported!

It also said that your legs will get bigger and more muscular and that spinning was a garbage workout. 

So I guess all my spin mates who look svelte and are ripped are wasting their time. WRONG! I lost 30 pounds was that a fluke? Was it also a fluke that when I ride on the road my stamina and endurance has increased many fold from my years on the elliptical?  As the new age phrase goes: A yeah NO. Please read this article and let’s write this ill informed author where to get off. I am mystified how they let people write about stuff they know little or nothing about. If we asked Tripp  what would he say? Here is the link. 

http://graemethomasonline.com/he-s-a-i-d-she-s-a-i-d-why-spinning-wondoesnt-make-you-slim/

But take heart all read all the comments blasting this guy and some of them are athletes off as well as on the bike.  







1 comment:

Petals said...

Marj and I were able to do a 550 mile ride after training on a spin bike and doing cardio classes at the gym. We rode through mountains and our endurance and strength was on par with the front of the pack. :)