Tripp Doherty

Tripp Doherty

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Tales of the Ancient Mariner


On my recent trip to the tropical zone which by the way holds daylight for a full hour more than up in the frozen tundra I found myself at a loose end not being able to spin everyday. I took to the streets with very mixed results. I couldn’t understand why as I started my jog with the Pulsar HR monitor that I was seemingly out of breathe at a HR as low as 94.  What I wound up doing was start stopping which made me feel like I was the proverbial fish out of the Lavender Palace and that maybe that I was kidding myself as to how fit I actually was. There was a fourth run that allowed me to make a full 45 minute interval without stopping but the following two road sessions had me right back in the soup of oxygen deficit.  However on my last run I decided to do some wind sprints and that was the ticket that gave me some solace. But as to any idea that I might run a marathon again my friends I think that is a foregone conclusion.

And what I think I have discovered is that since these HR monitors are based on weight and HR it can be deceiving as to how many calories burned. I don’t think that if you have a low HR to begin with that the calories measured are in any way truly accurate.  Someone correct if I am wrong but I don’t think it’s ipso facto. 

Did you miss me? I surely missed you all and when Wednesday 1215 rolls around again my smile will be as broad as the English Channel. If I start saying “Do What” please feel free to slap me. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No matter how fit we think we are we can't erase our longevity. The wear and tear we subjected ourselves to through the years is ever present.