Tripp Doherty

Tripp Doherty

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Runner's Low


Tripper wanted me to get this youtube video up and you will get a "feel" for what the Ironman is like:
I am well acquainted with Runner’s High having experienced it firsthand in my marathon and ultra-marathon days of the 70’s and 80’s but hey Jack it’s the 21st Century and the running boom is over at least for this aged warrior. I know that Lizzie of Ari and Lizzie will chide me about talking about how old I am but that’s to be expected. One because she is a sweetheart and two she is only 30 something. 

However, be that as it may I had no spin bike on my weekend retreat and so I was relegated to running on the boardwalk in Long Branch New Jersey. Not exactly a bleak prospect but I can tell you that my first run on Saturday was anything but fun. I wound up walking and running and running and walking. And I know that these beta-blockers are kicking my ass and are keeping my HR at such low levels, (Resting rate is 47) but there might be a way around these joy killers. And the answer was simple enough. It was to just keep running and today Sunday I did just that in the 6 AM hour. And I put the clock on it for a point A to B run. I took 30 minutes out and I was amazed as it was only 22 minutes coming back. I am not claiming I am ready for another Boston Marathon but it does tell me that I will include some running into my spinning regimen. I am convinced that the run will accelerate my progress in the CS.  

And no I am not ready for Dana, Maureen (Woodside) or anyone else yet and may never be but I do know this that what I claimed I would never do again has me giving one foot in front of the other a second thought. 



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!!! So happy for you!!!
Db

Mylifeafteraa.blogspot.com said...

Dana
I am suffering today as my quads are barking. Running is where I found my resolve that stays with me today. See you in class.