Tripp Doherty

Tripp Doherty

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Beyond Spin


Lest it become a habit I am back at my keyboard and scribing refusing to rest from this past Saturday where my fingers couldn’t type the words fast enough. And before anyone accuses me of writers block I will make an entry from my class with Tripp Doherty yesterday at the Noon hour.  It is fast becoming apparent that our sessions with Tripper have moved past the stage of simply being an entertaining spin class, and beyond that a very closely-knit spin class. But I think things have started to escalate in terms of each other’s commitment not only to each other but also as to what type of training some of us are doing. 

Maureen Russo just recently took up an eleven-mile run after several spin classes on Tuesday on a topographically challenging run with Tripp starting at the bicycle path in Woodbury to Cold Spring Harbor and then back again. I have run the hills in Cold Spring Harbor and let me tell you they are as challenging as any hill you will find on Long Island. What made Tripp’s eyes open wide was the fact that he expected her to be far behind him and she was in his words: Right There.  

We have, as Tripp will attest a tremendous core of extreme athletes that are multi talented. You will find outdoor cyclists, runners, swimmers and in the case of Stacie Ries and Tripp, mountain climbers. I wonder if parachuting is not out of the question now.  The point is that we in Woodbury in particular are not one dimensional in the sense we not only push the envelope every time we don those spin cleats but when we put on climbing boots, running shoes or in our bare feet when we hit the liquid surfaces too.  

I am looking for stories from all of you and if you are shy those friends of those athletes that you admire let me know about because we want this blog to expand beyond the walls of our Lavender Palace. 

No comments: