Tripp Doherty

Tripp Doherty

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Man in the Center Ring


A printing malfunction at the front desk kept us on the edge waiting to sign ourselves up for the remaining bikes for the new iconic 8:30. It reminded me of last year in the old studio for KSC wherein arriving 45 minutes before did not guarantee a seat for the remaining 10 spots.  Life in the CS has become my 2nd home in this my 3rd space. I have been here since the beginning when signups were in a trailer in the front parking lot and I have spent the better part of 8+ years here and it is like no other club I have been to in my life. From big franchises like Jack LaLanne, Gold’s Gym and NY Sports Club to small mom and pop owned gyms this one is the only space where I am in no particular hurry to leave every time I walk in those doors. There isn’t much to complain about ever here and this regime (I have seen them all) including Peter Rothermel and the ubiquitous Louis Cohen make it even more comfortable than when I first arrived. I love to wax poetic about Equinox and in particular Woodbury because I feel as comfortable here as I do in my own living room. 

 I awoke at 6:18 yesterday thinking I was just in time to sign in for the 8:30 but alas I fell back asleep and as a result had to get to the queue a bit earlier than usual.  A full house for both the 8:30 and the 9:45 on Tripper Tuesday as it seems to be the trend as this man’s popularity continues to grow. And there is plenty of crossover from KSC as well because I see some of my favorite faces in Tripp’s class enjoying the fandango and the singular passion that is Frank Doherty. 

 In two sessions with Kristen and Carolyn Mellace I found myself using the new monitors and they had me transfixed, but on this Tuesday I barely glanced down at it and wound up burning the same amount of calories. Go figure.  Make no mistake, I think the monitor is a useful tool there is not much doubt about that but it also tells me that for me Tripp is the main attraction like the man in the center ring of the circus. 

And some just can’t get enough of Svengali, like our guest blogger yesterday Maureen Russo. I saw her steal out of the CS at 9:15 to sign up for the next class. What devotion because frankly we just can’t get enough. 



No comments: