Tripp Doherty

Tripp Doherty

Monday, November 15, 2010

Saturday JDRF


Since Jack was unable to make Saturday’s JDRF charity ride, I will take over from here to explain what the feel of that day was like.  I would never dare try to take this away from Jack who I consider a fantastic writer but, as he explained, we cannot always be where we want to be.

My Saturdays start at 6am for a drive to Scarsdale Equinox for my first class at 8am.  This group has always been very special to me because it was my first.  It is great how every class has its own feel and life, and I love that about these rooms.  After Scarsdale, I have one hour to get to the West Village and teach 2 classes at the Printing House gym.  As the manager says, “it is the last of the Mohicans” -- a 1 location operation. Getting from Scarsdale to the West Village is always an adventure and this week was no exception.  A parade shut down the west side highways for 15 minutes.  Always something!  I was 5 minutes late for class but everyone was great about it knowing I try my best.  I could only teach 1 of the 2 because I needed to get to Woodbury by noon and felt bad for the people coming to my second class that didn't know I would not be teaching.  Off I was to Woodbury with an hour and fifteen minutes to make the class.  Sometimes just getting from west to east Manhattan can be an ordeal, but today smooth sailing with a half hour to spare.

Walking into Woodbury you could feel a positive energy in the gym.  As I made my way into the spin room, there was Kristen who after teaching 3 classes looked like she was ready for the marathon.  All she said to me was, “have fun”.  To me, Kristen is the gold standard in this industry and as I started my class with a stretching technique she recommended, I was once again reminded of that.  Having fun was going to be easy as the class was filled with people from all the Equinox locations on Long Island that I teach at, each of whom I feel a very strong connection with.  No longer did I feel tired or frustrated -- I was simply overjoyed.  Gift bags draped the bikes, each filled with goodies from water bottles to gift certificates, and 15 minutes into the class, the festivities really began with seemingly endless raffle prizes which took most of the class to hand out.  On that note, I would like to give unbelievable praise to Stacey who, after having this disease enter her life, organized this memorable and wonderful event – Great Job Stacey!  I played music to keep the vibe light and everyone was sending positive energy throughout the room that was infectious.  The class ended with smiles, laughter and a feeling of love that engulfed the room.  All I can say is it felt great!        

I have been told that I get a little serious sometimes but that is because it is hard to shrug off all the things that happen to people.  Life can sometimes be unbelievable.  That being said, I cannot think of a better way for people to come together than in these rooms.  I never thought a gym could ever make me feel this way routinely.   It isn’t whether we want to be the next Armstrong or not.  Quite the contrary, it is about people coming together, bonding thru both good times and bad.  As Mary Blige says in One, "carry each other".   

I consider it an absolute privilege to teach my classes and to share experiences with all of you.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

a writer and a coach....good combo! it WAS so fun on sat..part game show...part fundraiser..part ass kicking...loved it :)
db

Anonymous said...

Tripp-

Sure you are not vying for your own blog?? It was readable, but stick to your day job - you are the go to man for spin and JB is our go to man for our cerebral engagement!

Love you both!
AYW

Anonymous said...

WOW...Pretty harsh comment "AYW"...if you're truly looking for "cerebral engagement", don't be so closed minded...JC

Mylifeafteraa.blogspot.com said...

Tripp
Did marvelously well in describing the events and feelings of the day.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jack...not another comment for posting just a personal request to you...can you please change the "d" in closed to a "-"...not the best typist...thanks...JC

Mylifeafteraa.blogspot.com said...

JC
I am not following you as I reposted this story (quite good) and am not sure where you are referring to..

Anonymous said...

Jack...I was simply asking you to fix a typo...JC

Mylifeafteraa.blogspot.com said...

JC
I will gladly do that I just didn't see it. Tell me where exactly.

Anonymous said...

Come on..."One" is a U2 song. Mary J.B. deserves no credit. A true Svengali would know better.

Mylifeafteraa.blogspot.com said...

Excuse me. I meant "The One". I do know "One" is U2. Pardon the error.