Tripp Doherty

Tripp Doherty

Monday, November 8, 2010

Inspiration Point


A letter to Tripp which we have reprinted in part, that might captivate you one and all. 

Dear Tripp,

I wanted to thank you for inspiring me and giving me sunshine on days when I am feeling really low.  When you talk about your story and other peoples stories and what they have been through it makes me want to share my experience too.  I am learning that by sharing it, it will help me heal.  It’s interesting because when you sit next to the same people day in and day out at the gym, you never know what they might be going through.  I almost feel if we could wear a T-shirt that shares our thoughts, people might be a little kinder.  Like, “I’m fragile today, my Mom passed away.”

My mom was my best buddy.  She was diagnosed with stage IV pancreatic cancer.  They asked if she smoked or drank....no.  She was kickboxing and felt a pain a day later thinking it was muscular.  Thankfully she went to check it out, but what transpired after all that has blown me, my bro, my Dad and hubby away.  My family was in the room when she slammed her hand on the Dr.’s desk to ask how much time she had.  (She didn’t remember doing that) I thought “Please do not answer”!!  He said 3-6 months.  She fought with all her might for three years exceeding their expectations.  I went with her and my Dad to bring her for treatments in the city.  At one point she asked me when we got home to shave her head.  I remember seeing the fear in her eyes and feeling so helpless that I could not take this away from her.  

Although this February will be two years that she passed away, it feel like yesterday.  She was 63. It just isn’t fair.  She didn’t deserve to go through that. My Dad didn’t deserve to see his High School Sweetheart crumble by this deadly silent disease.  To see what it has done to him.....speechless.  I feel he is just waiting to check out.  Scares me to say, but my bro and I see it in his eyes.  It has left us broken and we will never be the same.  But we must fight to move on as she would want us to.  

I am watching all of my friends have children and enjoy their parents with them.  They will never know what it is like.  Then to hear Dr.’s say to me regarding having children, “You know you’re forty...your clock is ticking.  Who needs that?  This is all tooooooooooooo much!  

My mom worked the desk at the dance studio that I own and everyone there even misses “KP’s smile.”  To have her there where I work was such a blessing.  Motivating my students to work hard and enjoy being able to express themselves through dance is a gift I am grateful for.  My mom was such a big part of that and will ALWAYS be!  This year will be 10 years that I own the studio and I know she would want me to celebrate and that is the theme this year...Celebration. She was a beautiful soul who was so compassionate.  I guess they needed her up in heaven.....

So when you play the songs you do and share your story of other gym members, it made me compelled to share my story and my pain.  Thank you for listening and for inspiring me to get up and look forward to your class and having a GREAT time!
Thanks again!! You rock!
DP


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow- what a gut wrenching story...my heart goes out to her and will keep in my prayers. You're right when you say we never know whats going on with the people sitting next to us everyday...its amazing that we can all come together for that hour or two and be inspired and be better when we leave than when we walked in. Just a shame we don't know each other too well beyond that small, dark studio. It takes a lot of guts to share that story...thank you. And I hope to be sitting next to you one of these days as all our positive energy HAS to be doing some good :)

-db

Mylifeafteraa.blogspot.com said...

The ground swell is rising and so are we my friend.

Anonymous said...

It is amazing how much is going on in these rooms. I truly feel touched that I can help people in any way with the cruel realities that happen in life.
By Tripp on Inspiration Point at 4:12 PM

Anonymous said...

I JUST WANTED TO THANK U FOR REMINDING ME IN EACH CLASS HOW PRECIOUS LIFE IS AND HOW THANKFUL WE SHOULD ALL B.
I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH BREAST CANCER 2 YEARS AGO.I AM NOW OK BUT IT TOOK THAT FOR ME TO REALIZE HOW TO MAKE EACH DAY REALLY COUNT, TO GIVE BACK ,PAY FORWARD AND DONT SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF. YOUR CLASS TO ME IS 1 HR OF PURE ENJOYMENT.
CARPE DIEM !!!
PEACE,HEALTH AND HAPPINESS
XO J.E